Friday, July 20, 2012

Picture Books I Love!





The Teacher Wife is having a picture book linky party!
        I've already written 2 blogs this week, and I was going to take a break.  But then I ran across this picture book linky, and I had to jump in.  I love finding new picture books -- I always have a wishlist going on at Amazon and a wishlist for our school librarian.  I have already found more books to add to those lists tonight.

       Here are some of our favorites.

After I read "Press Here" -- ordered by the librarian from my list -- it NEVER got back on the shelf because one of my kids checked it out every day for the rest of the year.  No other class in the school ever got to see it!

Abiyoyo is another book that flew off the shelf all year.  It's not a new story, but the kids loved to hear it again and again.  It has a giant and magic tricks and a song to sing -- I always know it will be a favorite every year.



      I know others have mentioned the Pete the Cat books -- they are my absolute favorite new books and I have shared them a LOT.  I really like this one even more because of the opportunity to talk about the subtraction equations as Pete loses his buttons.



      I got this book years ago when I sold Discovery Toys.  My own children about wore it out, so I was excited to find a big book copy in my school a few years ago.  The illustrations are wonderful and I use this as a mentor text for teaching about details during our Writer's Workshop.


       The Big Green Monster book is another one that I discovered from a blog list, and I'm so glad I did. It's great for retelling, even  those who can't read the words can read the pictures and tell the story.

    Thanks to all the teachers who have shared their favorites -- my wishlist is growing again!







5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your whole list! We do have a lot in common. My hubby was in the Army too. I also have three children. Wow!
    I'm your newest follower.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kids just love Go Away Big Green Monster! I've seen Pete the Cat featured on a lot of lists-will have to check that out! :)

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look up the Peter the Cat video on you tube, told (and sung) by the author. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete the Cat is my new favorite character! I have already planned so many activities around him during the first week of school!!! Thanks for sharing your list.

    Newest Follower,
    Nicole
    Lanier's Kindergarten Lions

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooove The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry and The Big Hungry Bear!

    I gave your blog an award! Come by and pick it up!

    Chelsey♥

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment!!